Flash Required to view this area.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Seoul Wedding Photographer: Make-Up Advice From Pretty By Julianne

(This is an original blog post from the official Blog! Join me there for the latest)


*Edit: While this particular vendor is from San Francisco, I thought I'd share this post here
because of the insight Julianne provides regarding make-up in general ;) It takes practice and
sometimes a little professional help but make-up is so essential to photos and can help you to
become camera ready just as you put emphasis on clothes and hair.. Read on for more details!



I had the wonderful honor of witnessing (and documenting!) my dear friend's wedding ceremony
in San Francisco last month. Friends flew in from all over the world (NY, Hong Kong, Portland,
NJ, etc.) and it was such an intimate setting where only the most closest family and friends
were invited to see these two vow to love each other forever 


Aside from the silly and teary moments that can only come from these two (really..), I had the 

most fabulous time getting to know local San Francisco wedding vendors! These people were
like friends and we talked as if we just had lunch yesterday. One vendor I had a chance to
interview is Julianne from Pretty by Julianne

Before I go on and on about how much we talked about loving make-up... here's an {in-depth}
interview of Julianne herself:


Q. What is your favorite breakfast food? 
A. Eggs and bacon. Ok anything with eggs. I love egg yolk!

Q. Your go to morning drink? 
A. Peppermint tea. Harney & Sons has the best peppermint tea on the planet.

Q. First word that comes to your mind? 
A. I'm hungry. (not an uncommon state in my world)

Q. Ok, on to the real questions! What do you love about weddings? 
A. The OPTIONS that makeup gives. I mean, why do so many women get excited about
makeup (like me)?? It's the chance to look different, to enhance, to improve, to create
beauty. To be the best they can be. That's what I love about makeup. :-)

Q. If you had only 30 seconds to speak with a bride, what would you tell them? 
A. Practice. Makeup is all about technique and if you don't practice what you learn from a
makeup artist or on YouTube, you'll never be able to do it "right" if you don't practice. Also,
beauty is individualized. You can see a great look on YouTube or a magazine but you need
to own it and understand it to make it work for your face.
 


Q. What do YOU specialize in? 
A.  I specialize in making women feel beautiful with what they have. Enhancing their
natural beauty. Sounds so simple right? As I mentioned earlier, beauty is individualized.
Just like how every brow has it's own shape and must match the owner.
 


Q. What inspires you? 
A. Eyes inspire me. Whether it be almond eyes with mono-lids or bright colored eyes... I
think about how I can enhance with different eyeshadows and eyeliner! I also get inspired
by moments. A happy smile that I see from a bride or a cute little baby to the blue sky. If I
am part of that happy moment, I am inspired. Is this too cheesy?? 

(SC: umm, NOT at all.. ;))

Q. Why is makeup essential to photo shoots?
A. What our eyes capture and what the camera captures is very different. Makeup can
enhance eyes to make them stand out, a carefully applied blush will bring a healthy glow
to the face, and lip color can make someone look healthy... You get the idea. Makeup can
definitely enhance, camouflage, chisel, feature and brighten so that you are photo ready.

Q. What is the Client's reaction when they first see the finished look?
A. Do you know what I love the most? After I am done with makeup, and the client sees
themselves for the first time in the mirror. They have the biggest smile! Usually because
they are really happy with the way they look. I had a makeup trial with a bride yesterday.
 She looked at herself in the mirror when I was done (she was dying to see) and she smiled
so widely and nodded up and down! She was really happy with the look! She hugged me
like 9 times before she left the appointment. Stuff like that makes me feel SO good.



Thank you so much Julianne!! I don't remember how many times I told her I wish I had her make-
up set for my own personal use ;)

If you've never had make-up professionally done (whether it's for a shoot or not) I'd highly
recommend it. It's fun and you will always learn something a little fabulous! 





No comments: